It is always cheaper and easier to prevent catastrophes than to clean them up later. The Internet Law Department at Helmer, Conley & Kasselman, P.A. has developed a comprehensive solution to help prevent data breaches. We offer several key services to harden your existing networks and technology against attack.
From evaluating your current infrastructure to overseeing upgrades and training your employees, we are your organization’s one stop shop for data security. We know that data security is not the primary focus of your business. So we work with your existing technology providers and staff to make the transition to a more secure future as seamless as possible.
Our preventive services include:
- Security Audits – We can work with many experienced technology providers, including yours, to evaluate your current information technologies and find most existing vulnerabilities. Our consultants have years of experience in technology security and can often find many problems before hackers do.
- Risk Management – Following an audit, we can identify your organization’s weak spots and give you personalized recommendations to address them. We know that you want to get back doing the work of your organization, not worrying about computer security. So we can explain, in understandable language, how you should prioritize.
- Security Upgrades – After our consultants have identified improvement opportunities and proposed a plan to address them, we can oversee the required security upgrades for you. This will let you worry about the more important parts of your organization without sacrificing the critical need for digital safety.
- Policies and Procedures – Our attorneys can work with you to understand the individual needs of your organization, and formulate written policies and procedures to minimize your risk. Having these policies in place helps reduce the likelihood of a breach, and may help reduce your liability in the event that one occurs.
- Compliance Review – Does your organization accept credit card payments? Are you covered by HIPAA or other regulations? Do you have your own website? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, we can help you understand what rules are applicable to your organization and the best ways to comply with them. Being proactive may prevent substantial fines and penalties against you and your organization.
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Standards – The rise of smartphones and other devices has led to an increase in stolen data. We can advise you with steps to take so that any devices that your employees use to connect to your organization’s data should be adequately secured. We can also provide you with the appropriate policies and agreements to limit your organization’s liability in the case of loss or stolen data.
- Staff Training – We can help “secure the human” by educating your staff about the most common threats and how to respond to them. Rather than bogging your people down with complex technical information, we present things in an easy-to-understand format. We will tailor our discussions to the unique circumstances of your organization so that your staff can understand the best practices available.
- Setting Expectations – Employees of businesses and government agencies may not understand the rules covering their usage of company technologies. We can review your organization’s technologies and structure, and help explain to your employees what they can and cannot do on company computers and networks. We can also show your employees how to secure corporate, government, employee, and customer data.
By making your organization more secure, we help to make it a much less inviting target to potential data thieves. Our services will make a successful attack against your organization much less likely. They may also decrease your insurance costs, and will almost certainly minimize the impact of a breach in the event that one does occur.
In addition to the services we provide to all organizations, we can provide customized solutions for businesses and government agencies.