Experienced Representation From Your New Jersey Criminal Attorney
The New Jersey law firm of Helmer, Conley & Kasselman, P.A., has a skilled and knowledgeable criminal defense team that can provide you with aggressive representation and advocacy at a time when you need it most. Your New Jersey criminal lawyer can assist you in all types of criminal cases and issues, including the following:
- After Arrest Legal Procedure – Following an arrest, you will be subject to certain legal procedures, including posting bail. An experienced NJ criminal attorney can assist you and advise you of your rights.
- Aggravated Assault – The serious crime of aggravated assault involves an intent to cause bodily injury, typically using a weapon or vehicle, and can result in severe penalties.
- Arson – Arson occurs when you intentionally set a structure or vehicle on fire. A conviction carries serious repercussions, including incarceration, that necessitate the assistance of a NJ criminal lawyer.
- Bail Hearings – The amount of bail set for a person arrested depends on the severity of the alleged crime, past criminal history, and the person’s ties to the state of New Jersey. You can request a bail hearing in order to ask that the bail set in your case be lowered or changed.
- Child/Domestic Abuse – If you are accused of committing a crime against a child, family member or significant other, you can face serious consequences, such as jail and restraining orders.
- Drug Crimes – In the state of New Jersey, if you possess marijuana, controlled dangerous substances, or other drugs or paraphernalia, you may be subject to significant jail time and loss of your driver’s license.
- Escape – Escaping from or failing to report to a jail, prison, halfway house, police station, or parole office can result in 5 to 10 years in prison. If accused of escape, you will need an aggressive New Jersey criminal lawyer to represent you.
- Fraud – Some theft offenses, which typically involve lying, cheating, or some type of forgery, are classified as fraud.
- Immigration Consequences of Criminal Activity – If a person is not a U.S. citizen, he or she not only faces criminal penalties if convicted of certain crimes -- but also the potential removal from the United States, or deportation.
- Murder/Manslaughter – The crimes of murder and manslaughter can result in a life sentence. Therefore, representation by an exceptionally skilled NJ defense attorney is essential if you are accused of this type of crime.
- Parole/Probation Violations – If you violate the terms of your parole or probation, you can be subject to being held without bail and to serving additional jail or prison time.
- Resisting Arrest – If you do not submit to arrest when a law enforcement officer attempts to arrest you, you can commit the crime of resisting arrest, even if your arrest is wrongful.
- Robbery/Burglary – The crimes of robbery and burglary involve taking property without another’s permission and entering someone else’s property in order to commit a crime. If convicted of robbery or burglary, you may serve a lengthy prison sentence.
- Sexual Assault, Megan’s Law, and Other Sex Crimes – Sex crimes not only can result in serious criminal penalties, such as jail or prison time, but also can require you to formally register as a sex offender for several years -- or even for a lifetime. If you are accused of a sex crime, you must enlist the services of an experienced NJ criminal attorney immediately.
- Types of Criminal Defenses – A skilled New Jersey criminal lawyer can assist you in asserting criminal defenses on your behalf, which include self-defense, alibi, and diminished capacity or insanity. Any of these defenses may be key to dismissing your criminal charges.
- Weapons Offenses – If you unlawfully carry or possess any type of weapon, or use that weapon to harm another, you may be subject to a criminal weapons charge.
Click here for all of your NJ criminal law news.