Skip to Content

Call Us - Problem Solved

Salem Immigration Lawyer

Get the Help You Need from an Experienced Salem
Immigration Lawyer

As a foreign national living in or seeking to travel to the United States, navigating the U.S. immigration system can be challenging. The laws that restrict foreign nationals’ entry into the United States are incredibly complex, and those who enter the country lawfully can lose their lawful status under various circumstances. Therefore, if you have questions or concerns, it is
best to speak with a Salem immigration lawyer to make sure you don’t do anything that could lead to a determination of inadmissibility or deportation.

Our Salem immigration lawyers represent foreign nationals residing in New Jersey and abroad in all U.S. immigration matters. So if you are currently living in Salem and you need help dealing with immigration for a loved one, we can help. Our immigration lawyers have extensive experience dealing with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and we also handle criminal, family, and other legal matters for foreign nationals.

7 Common Reasons to Hire a Salem Immigration Lawyer

While it is possible to deal with USCIS on your own, this is not the best option in most circumstances. Simply figuring out where to start can prove extremely difficult, and if you make mistakes, you could face long delays or other undesirable consequences.

So, do you need an immigration lawyer? We recommend that you schedule a consultation with a Salem immigration lawyer at Helmer, Conley & Kasselman, P.A. if:

1. You Need a Visa (or Visa Extension)

We help foreign nationals apply for family-based visas for entry into the United States. As the U.S. Department of State explains, “A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport.”

There are several different types of visas available from the US Department of State, all of which fall into one of two categories: (i) non-immigrant visas or (ii) immigrant visas. Non-immigrant visas are available to foreign nationals who are seeking to travel to the U.S.

Temporarily, while those seeking to remain in the U.S. must obtain immigrant visas before starting their travels. Our lawyers assist foreign nationals with applying for both non-immigrant and immigrant visas—including (but not limited to):

● Fiancée visas (K-1 visas)
● Treaty trader visas (E-1 visas)
● Treaty investor visas (E-2 visas)
● Specialty occupation visas (H-1B visas)
● Temporary worker visas (H-2B visas)
● Extraordinary ability visas (O-1 visas)
● Performing athlete, artist, and entertainer visas (P visas)
● Visas for workers from Canada and Mexico (TN visas)

We also help foreign nationals in Salem apply for visa extensions. When residing in the United States on a visa, it is extremely important to submit a timely application for an extension before your visa expires. Our lawyers can explain what documentation you will need to obtain an extension, and we can file your extension application on your behalf.

2. You Need an Inadmissibility Waiver

Under U.S. immigration laws, foreign nationals can be denied entry to the United States for various reasons. This is known as being deemed “inadmissible.” While determinations of inadmissibility can be permanent, it is also possible to successfully apply for an inadmissibility waiver in some cases. The two most common ways we help foreign nationals in Salem obtain inadmissibility waivers are:

● Through submission of USCIS Form I-601, I-601A and I-212

If you have been denied entry to the U.S. based on a determination of inadmissibility, we strongly recommend that you speak with a Salem immigration lawyer. While this can be a very difficult situation, we have successfully obtained inadmissibility waivers for our clients.

3. You Need to Apply for an Adjustment of Status

If you are in the United States on a non-immigrant visa, applying for an adjustment of status affords the opportunity to become a lawful permanent resident (obtain a green card) without leaving and seeking reentry under an immigrant visa. This streamlines the process of getting a green card, but applicants must be careful to ensure that they take all of the necessary steps to
successfully apply for an adjustment without jeopardizing their current status.

4. You Need to Apply for Asylum

If you are currently in New Jersey and you are afraid to return to your home country due to the risk of facing persecution, you may be eligible to apply for asylum. This is true regardless of your current immigration status. Applying for asylum is a complicated process that presents legal risks for non-U.S. citizens, so it will be important for you to have an experienced Salem immigration lawyer on your side.

5. You Want To Apply for a Green Card

Obtaining a green card establishes lawful permanent residency in the United States, and, for many foreign nationals, it is a key step on the path to U.S. citizenship. If you have questions about your eligibility for a green card, or if you believe you are eligible and are ready to start the application process, your next step is to sit down and discuss your application with a Salem
immigration lawyer.

6. You Want to Apply for U.S. Citizenship

The process of becoming a U.S. citizen is known as naturalization. Different foreign nationals are eligible to apply for naturalization under different circumstances. For example, while the
following general requirements apply to most individuals, there are different requirements for spouses of U.S. citizens and those with U.S. military service records:

● 18 years of age or older;
● Lawful resident for at least three to five years depending on what category you are in;
● “Continuous residence” in the United States; and,
● Residence in New Jersey (or any other state) for at least three months.

Applying for U.S. citizenship is a major step that can drastically change your life. To make sure the application process is as smooth as possible, you should seek help from an experienced Salem immigration lawyer at Helmer, Conley & Kasselman, P.A.

7. You Are Facing Removal (Deportation) from the United States

Facing removal (deportation) from the United States is a serious matter. If you find yourself facing deportation due to a traffic stop, arrest or any other circumstance, it is important that you discuss your situation with a lawyer right away.

What To Expect When You Hire a Lawyer at Helmer, Conley & Kasselman, P.A.

We understand that many people have concerns about speaking with a lawyer, and we want you to know that while you may have questions, this should not prevent you from seeking legal advice. Here is what you can expect when you hire a lawyer at Helmer, Conley & Kasselman, P.A.

● We will treat you with compassion, empathy, and respect.
● We will help you understand your options and make informed decisions.

● We will represent you before USCIS or EOIR (Immigration court) to the best of our ability and rely on our decades of relevant experience.

What Not To Expect From Your U.S. Immigration Matter

When dealing with USCIS, it is essential to have reasonable expectations. While our lawyers can help you, we cannot guarantee any particular outcome—and this is true regardless of the circumstances at hand. With this in mind, here is what not to expect from your U.S. immigration matter:

● You will not have a final resolution immediately. Many immigration matters take months (if not longer) to resolve.
● Your lawyer cannot force USCIS or EOIR to grant your desired status. USCIS and EOIR make their own decisions, and you may need to appeal an undesirable result.
● You cannot expect your lawyer to handle your matter without your help. You will need to play an active role in the process to achieve your desired result.

FAQs: Dealing with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as a Foreign National in Salem, NJ

Can a Salem Immigration Lawyer Help Me if I Am In the U.S. Illegally?

Yes, if you are in the U.S. illegally, our lawyers can help you determine your best option.  Anything we discuss regarding your immigration status will be held in strict confidence.

Can a Salem Immigration Lawyer Help Me if I Am Facing Deportation?

Yes, our lawyers can help you if you currently live in Salem and you are facing deportation for any reason. To give yourself the best chance of avoiding removal, you should speak with a lawyer immediately.

Speak with a Salem Immigration Lawyer in Confidence

If you would like to speak with an immigration lawyer in Salem, we encourage you to contact us
for a confidential consultation. Call 877-435-6371 or send us your contact information online to
schedule an appointment today.

Call Us - Problem Solved

Helmer, Conley & Kasselman, P.A.

Time is of the Essence

Don’t let your rights be jeopardized.